Monday, October 31, 2011

Chili Cook-Off - 1st Place

Note - This is not a picture of my chili but it looks pretty darn close!

I just won my second chili cook off! I am beyond excited! The first time I won was at my oldest daughter's school (2009). And today I won my work's cook off! YIPPEE!!

I've never shared my recipe before but I thought I would today since it marks the second time this chili has won me first place. So here goes...

1lb maple sausage (I use Jimmy Dean)
1lb Italian sausage (you can use zesty or regular, I use Purnell Old Folks)
1lb regular sausage (I use Jimmy Dean)
1 - large onion - large dice
3 - cloves of garlic - fine dice
2 - 15oz cans of chili ready tomatoes
1 - 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 - 8oz can of tomato sauce
1 - 28 oz can of Chili beans - Red beans in mild sauce (I use Bush's)
1/2 t - garlic powder
1/2 t - onion powder
4 (heaping) T chili powder (I prefer Mexene brand)
1/4 t cayenne pepper
1/2 t ground cumin
1 t - red pepper flakes (crush in your palm to release flavor)
1 t - dried oregano (again crushed)
salt and pepper (I'd guesstimate that I use about 1 t of each)

1 - box of chicken stock (one with a flip top works best)

First, I brown all the meat in the order listed above, one at a time. While I'm browning my meat, I throw all of my remaining ingredients in my crockpot, except for the chicken stock. Once all of my meat has been browned, I add it all to the crock pot. The chili will be pretty thick at this point, and that's where I add in my chicken stock to thin it out a bit. Then I just cook it low and slow. Cook on low until the onions and garlic are soft.

And that's it! It always tastes even better the next day after the flavors have had time to hang out together. I'm a Southern girl so I fix spaghetti with mine. I don't put it in my chili pot but I do put some at the bottom of a bowl, spoon my chili on top and spinkle on some shredded cheddar cheese and Frank's Hot Sauce. YUM!


I honestly think the maple sausage is what makes it a winner. I was feeling adventurous one day and thought I would try maple to bring a hint of sweetness, and lucky for me it worked! This chili is on the spicy side but my girl can eat it so it's not too hot.

Let me know if you try it and how it turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment