Monday, October 24, 2011

Sconce Upon a Time...

One thing I got really interested in while my husband was gone is decorating. I've always loved home decor and watching HGTV but I was more of a dreamer than a doer.

I did a few things around the house (including making my own curtains!) while he was gone and since he's been back he's gotten into trying to find things for the house. We hit up one of our local thrift shops, Unique Thrift, and came upon these gems.


They were ugly in color but there was something about them that we liked. Possibly the price tag.


We didn't notice until we were home, that while they are a matching set, they were different prices, $1.81 for one, $2.42 for the other. An example of the left not knowing what the right is doing. Who knows!


We imagined them hanging on either side of our bed. We immediately knew we would be painting them as 1980's gold is not our thing. I was seeing a bright teal, while Ryan saw white. He went out and bought white spray paint. I then went out and bought teal spray paint...and proceeded to spray paint them while he was out of the house (and therefore couldn't tell me no! ;)


I took them outside and laid them on a flattened cardboard box. I gave them 5 very thin layers of paint, waiting about 3-5 minutes between each coat. 

Ready for their makeover!

First coat, looks like nothing is going on, but wait!

By the 5th coat, they were looking pretty good!

Close up. I had to go in and touch up a few spots.

And finally one of the (almost) finished products hanging on the wall in our bedroom. It started to rain and I had to bring them inside before I got to touch up everything. Once I get them all finished up and hung in their (probably) forever home (in the photo it's just hanging where a mirror normally is, I just wanted to see it on the wall), I will take more pictures in daylight. The flash of my crappy camera doesn't quite capture its (or our walls) true color.


So that's it for our first thrift store makeover. I have lots of ideas and more home improvement projects coming up VERY soon, including a basement bar make over! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment