Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow (If You Don't Take Care Of It!!)

Being a hair school graduate and just being interested in hair in general, having healthy hair is pretty important to me. Especially as it gets longer (it's about to my bra strap in the back right now), it's so important to make sure it's healthy hair. What's the point of having long hair if half of it is dried out and full of split ends?

I also color my hair which tends to take it's toll after a while. That's why I make sure to get my hair "dusted" every 6-8 weeks. A dusting is where they just barely skim the ends. You have to make sure you don't just say I want a trim. A lot of stylists will take that to mean an inch or more. An inch of hair is two month's worth of growth! It's your hair and your hard earned money you are spending so don't be shy! Tell them JUST A DUSTING! Most of them should know what that means, and if not, EDUCATE THEM! :)

In addition to that, I also take a multi-vitamin. Right now I am taking GNC's Women's Ultra Mega. Warning: It smells terrible. Awful even. Everytime I open my purse, I get smacked in the face by it's stink. But I think it works. It may not make your hair grow faster but I think it makes it a little sturdier growing in. Just my two cents.

As for shampoo, right now, since I'm more on the blonde side, I'm using John Frieda's Color Renew Tone Correcting Shampoo. It helps get rid of the yellow or brassy tones in blonde hair. It's definitely not my favorite tone correcting shampoo. In fact, Aveda's is HANDS DOWN the best one out there. Unfortuantely, the last time I went red, I gave my mom my big $26 bottle of Aveda and I can't bring myself to pay that again for a bottle of shampoo. BUT the Aveda works! Actually, if you aren't careful, it can turn your hair violet!

As for conditioner, I alternate between John Frieda's Go Lighter Conditioner (which I got at the salvage store for $2, compared to the drug store price of $6.99!) and Organix Moroccan Argan Oil Treatment. Argan Oil has been all the rage lately and it smells DIVINE! I can't get enough of this stuff.



I love the way this makes my hair smell and feel. Yum.

After shampooing and conditioning, I spray Miracle 7 Shine Spray on my hair. Another lovely smelling product. Though my husband says it smells like beer when it's first sprayed, I don't get that!


 And lastly, I apply Moroccan Oil to my ends. The REAL Moroccan Oil is only sold in salons (and online at their website) and I'm not going to lie, it's expensive! $40 for a bottle. I bought the smallest bottle for $15 and it has lasted me over a year. So don't think you need a lot. A little goes a long way. And of course, IT SMELLS SUPERB!


I very rarely blow dry my hair, I usually just let it air dry. I generally go a day in between washings. If it gets really oily, I will use a dry shampoo to get rid of the oils at the root. Sometimes it's even good to just get your hair wet in the shower and massage your hair at the root, distributing your natural oils. It won't be so pretty when you get out and it dries so I would put it in a braid if you have to go somewhere that day. Use a wide tooth comb when combing out wet hair. Use pony tail holders that don't have the metal piece in them. Give your hair a rinse with cool water before getting out of the shower.

So there you have it, these are the things I use and are what works for me!

Be good to your hair and it will be good to you! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment